I worked on many magazine crews back in the late 80's and early 90's and nearly been to all fifty states. I started off working door to door then after I got good at it I became a stemer. A stemer is where you work strickly parking lots, and malls. I also consider College dorms as steming cause I could pitch a entire group at 1 time. I also would con my way in military bases.We always worked no matter how bad the weather was.They always told us that rainy days are quota days. I encountered many situations while working in magazines. If I got arrested the first thing my manager would ask me was how many did you get? If it was not satisfactory then he would leave me sit in jail for a couple of days.

Once i got bailed then we would pack up and head to another city, so therefore I would have to skip bail. I left a huge trail of warrants for my arrest. I have been experdited by airplane 3 times, arrested 30 times,spent 3 years in prison. Left to be homeless a few times. My manager was a raging alcoholic who did not tolerate non productive days. My quota was 20 sales a day, which most of the time is impossible to do.There just wasn't enough time in the day.

We would work from 9 am to whenever.I would have to knock on doors at night time if quota was not met.I watched many people come in to this business,and leave after the 3rd day.I can't say i was ever given a bus ticket, but I was left on territory many times.I would have to walk back to the hotel.This would usually happen when i was having a bad day,or I missed my pickup.There where many days when i would not get a draw at night or maybe i would get a 5 dollar draw which I would have to eat on till the next night.3 meals 5 dollars will not happen.You where treated as a postitute.You could have a good day and you still only get a 10 dollar draw because everyone else had a bad day, and they would tell us that we need to pay our bills.My manager spent his day on the golf course, or at the hotel to recieve phone calls from the carhandler to bitch him out.

Their was alot of verbal abuse, and physical abuse.They knew I had no other place to go so they had me by a rope.There was alot of partying and sex on crews.Every crew had different rules.One of the managers I worked for sent me money while i was in prison for a year, then the day i got out sent me a bus ticket in Florida to get right back to work.I could not get away from this it was my life.Everytime I tried they would influence me with money,or a vacation, or give me a crew.I never liked working as a car handler it was too many bodies to keep track of.Once I got pulled over in a neighborhood with expired license they ran a check on me and i was wanted in 3 states Virgina,Florida,Ohio all for failure to appear in court, and fraud.Thats why I liked to work parking lots, and Malls. I could run around and lose the police, or mall security.When your in a neighborhood their is no where to run, except Miss Jones house.

There were many times when I would forget about the contest and just con my way into someones house just to avoid getting arrested.I got to the point where I could tell you what kind of people lived in a house by the cars they drived, the condition of the house,color,lawn,and so on.I had many fallouts with different managers that I would jump from company to company.I do have to say that i would run across people a year later, and they actually got their magazine.And of course some didn't.The ones that didn't where the ones that the salesman pocket the money, and did not write up the receipt.If I knew someone was going to pay by cash and they where dumb or young I would just pocket the cash.Young girls in the parking lot would be in a hurry to go shopping that they would hand me cash.By the time they figured that they needed a receipt i was long gone.This is what this business pushed me into doing.I needed to eat.If someone told me they did not want a magazine I would ask for a small donation.

I have probably logged a million miles on foot.Saturday night was always payday.You would get the remaining money that you did not take a draw against.My pay would be anywhere from 5 to 200 dollars for the week. Sometimes I would work all week and get 5 dollars.Your money goes strickly to food,cigerettes,drugs.

I never really had a money to buy clothes.We always borrowed each others clothes.Since their where so many people coming and going you would get alot of your stuff stolen.everyone carried trunks with their belongings.It was like living in the circus.

I had many sexual encounters going door to door.I had many encounters with females, and housewives.There were times when i gave my pitch and in 10 minutes was having sex with a complete stranger.You never know who's behind those doors.

I had many men touch me and put me in a situation where I was unable to leave the house unless i would fight back.There are alot of crazy people behind those doors.I watched many girls on our crew get assaulted by men.Ive seen girls get raped in the hotel rooms.

My manager did not care if you slept in a girls room,as long as you produced.I found that couples on crew would not produce well.If you lived in a apartment chances where we where going to hit you hard on Saturdays.Are manager liked us to work apartmens on Saturday cause usually there was not a manager on property,and you could get your quota early and be back at the hotel early.You had pickups every 2 hours and if you where not on the corner by that time they would just leve yo their in the neighborhood.There where times that i would knock on every door on the street and not get a sale they would make me knock on the same doors again till i got a sale.You have to stay motivated 10 hours a day.You have no private time.Everything is done as a group.Even on my day off I had to take new people under my wing and talk magazines.You live and breath magazies.Usually we would hop to another city on are only day off, never on a week day.We even worked on holidays except for Christmas, which was usually are vacation.We would stay at a nice resort for Christmas.This was the money that we put into the kitty all year long.It was kind of nice cause people would work for a couple of months and quit so the money would stay in th kitty.Of course th money disappeared many times.Or if someone needed to get bailed out of jail they would take the money out of the kitty.Sometimes we would go to a city with multiple crews and there would be alot of competion.

Our crew ranged from me being the only person to 40 kids on crew.That was crazy cause then they would sleep us 4 to 6 in a room.It was like one big slumber party.I never did get alot of sleep when we got back in the evening we would all go as a group to diner and then practice are pitch at the hotel.If you where a top seller you had to take a group of people to practice your pitch this would last sometimes till 10 or 11.

I would not recommend anybody to try this type of work.It is very stressful.You are also not allowed to bring your car caus they don't want you going off somewhere by yourself.